Looking to book a holiday this summer? Instead of beach getaways to Spain or the south of France, a recent Barclay’s bank report has found that more and more of us are embracing the idea of ‘staycations’. We are disregarding holidays abroad in favour of domestic retreats – and this new trend is predicted to take off massively in the next few years.
This couldn’t have come at a better time for Wales. Voted top travel destination at the beginning of the year, there has never been more on offer in terms of beautiful tourist spots and interesting attractions. Gone are the days of caravans – think romantic countryside getaways, chic city breaks and glamorous beach days for this new trend in domestic holidaying.
Here are our top five reasons why we think you should stay local this summer:
- According to scientists, we’re about to have the hottest summer on record. Grab those beach towels, pack your sunscreen and embrace it while you can! Or if you prefer more active pursuits, how about a cycle around the Monmouthshire countryside? The National Cycling Road Championships are also arriving on the 26th of June. Then again, there’s always time for a stroll through Hay-on-Wye for a browse around the bookshops – the possibilities are endless.
- Staycations are often much cheaper. Save money and explore some hidden culture – you’ll be surprised at how much is right under your nose! Castles, museums and other cultural hot spots make great days out and they’re often free too. We suggest The Big Pit in Blaenafon for an authentic insight into Welsh history – and it’s less than 20 minutes away from Abergavenny.
- Getting away doesn’t mean you have to go far – a change of beautiful countryside scenery can leave you feeling perfectly refreshed. Or perhaps you’re looking for a bit of adventure? GoApe will leave you feeling exhilarated! Experience zip-lining and climbing through the trees of the beautiful Forest of Dean in an unforgettable outdoors adventure. Just forty minutes away, it’s the perfect day trip if you’re spending the holidays in Monmouthshire.
- Staycations are fun! Staying local means that you can concentrate on having the perfect getaway without the hassle a trip further abroad may bring. Here at Llansantffraed Court, we pride ourselves on making your getaway as stress-free as possible. Let our friendly team take the weight off your shoulders as you enjoy a relaxing getaway in our peaceful surroundings – our gorgeous grounds are the perfect setting for afternoon tea.
- Finally, who needs a beach abroad when excitement is right here on your doorstep? Here in Abergavenny, we are delighted to welcome back the Eisteddfod on the 21st June – not to be missed if you’re looking for a traditional Welsh experience on your travels.
- The annual Abergavenny Food Festival in September is sure to tickle your taste buds. Our very own chef, Mike Hendry, will be there for the event showcasing the fantastic home-grown produce we have to offer here at Llansantffraed Court Hotel.
Whether it’s camping in the Brecon Beacons, a city getaway in Cardiff or a trip to Monmouthshire, the food capital of Wales, make sure you get out and explore the holiday hot spots right under your nose. Wales has all the offerings of a perfect holiday wrapped up in one convenient package.